another Sunday


I disconnect myself from the news on the weekend. I can't deal it and need breaks from all those bad news. Then it's usually like a slap in the face to read the news after the weekend (weekend being Friday/ Saturday here in Israel).

News of a 4-year old dying from a rocket while running (not fast enough) to the shelter. (Only this makes me so sick to the stomach that I lose my appetite. The age of my daughter…), men being executed in Gaza because they "apparently" collaborated with Israel, rockets now also from Syria and Lebanon, a father seriously wounded while pushing the last kids into the shelter at the daycare and sheltering them with his body, sirens all over the south- all the time…

Another family came to stay with us. They have 5 kids and so far they held out tin the South but they needed a break badly. Especially the younger daughter is traumatized.

If you want to look at the good part of this war (and how can there ever be a really good part about a war)- we met some truly great families and gained new friends and I am happy we could give them some shelter from the rockets and the threat of the tunnels. I am praying that nothing bad will happen to them.

One week from now the new school year should start. But as things stand right now it does not look good. They might delay the start. There's no way kids in the south could go back to school while rockets are still hitting the area. In addition to this- those kids had no summer holiday whatsoever. Spending weeks in the shelters. The lucky ones could afford some days away in hotels. Others were lucky to get shelter for some time with family/ friends and strangers.

My daughters told me that they want to go to live in Switzerland because there are no rockets. I asked them if it would not bother them to leave their friends… well they did not like this idea that much. 
Of course I do think about it from time to time. On the other hand you can't just leave everything. If it will get really bad for us here- this might be an option (if there are still flights…. Enough that they will shut down the airport and there will be no way to escape except maybe by sea.). 
And, to be completely honest, I am not sure it will be that good with all the anti-Semitism in Europe. Do I want my kids to be called "dirty Jews" and worse? (Even if they are not Jewish according to the Jewish law, because I am not)…


Let's hope this will finally end!

Comments

Popular Posts